Traditional methods of water filtration often rely on chemical treatments. While these chemicals are effective at removing impurities, they can also have negative health effects. These include irritation of the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. The hazardous chemicals are equally harmful to the environment.
In recent years, this has led to a growing interest of people in chemical-free water filtration methods.
These methods involve treating the water without the use of emulsions, disinfectants, biocides, or chlorine. Chemical-free water filtration may not completely address the issue of hard water but they are effective against major contaminants.
They work by reducing the buildup of scale in pipes. These systems can be coupled with more advanced filtration technology to create a single-unit, multi-treatment solution.
Let’s explore some of the innovative and chemical-free water filtration systems available on the market.
- UltraViolet(UV) Water Purification: It is one of the most effective methods of disinfecting water. The UV rays penetrate the bacteria and destroy its genetic material. Thus, UV sterilization can destroy up to 99% of pathogens. A major advantage is that they do not alter the taste or odor of the water, unlike chlorine.
- Activated Carbon Filtration: The activated carbon acts like a sponge. It attracts and absorbs contaminants such as chlorine and pesticides. Moreover, this filtration method can also remove unpleasant tastes from the water. Activated carbon filters are quite portable and can be used as part of a larger water treatment system.
- Aeration Treatment: It is also called the air injection method. This filtration technique is especially used to remove compounds like hydrogen sulfide and iron. As air is a powerful oxidizer, it converts these contaminants into filter-friendly compounds. Thereafter, they can be easily removed from the water.
- Ceramic Filters: These filters consist of a porous ceramic material that traps impurities as the water flows through. The pores in the ceramic filters are small enough to remove microorganisms. This makes ceramic filtration an excellent choice for areas where waterborne illnesses are a concern.
- Ozone Disinfection: Ozone is usually added at various levels in water treatment systems. It is generally used at the pre-oxidation stage. Ozone efficiently removes organic and inorganic matter. It also enhances the flocculation process in wastewater treatment.
- Ion Exchange Method: It is usually deployed in water softening systems. Ion exchangers typically use a resin bed to exchange ions, and the water is then passed through a filter to remove any remaining impurities.
Chemical-free water filtration solutions provide numerous benefits that go beyond just pure and safe drinking water.
With these alternatives, you don’t have to worry about handling and transporting hazardous chemicals.
Since these systems don’t use electricity, they are quite energy-efficient. When you choose a chemical-free system, you also prevent these chemicals from leaching into the environment.
Also, these systems have a high upfront cost but down the line, they can save you a lot of money.
Thus, chemical-free water filtration systems are a smart and eco-friendly way to enjoy pure and safe drinking water.
At CGC Water Treatment & Plumbing, we offer a range of chemical-free water filtration systems in St. John’s and other counties of Florida. Our team will walk you through the various options and help you find a suitable water filtration system.
Whether you’re a homeowner or a businessman, our innovative filtration systems deliver superior performance and are easy to use.
All our Kinetico products are designed to reduce your carbon footprint and help you live a more sustainable lifestyle. Our team of experienced and certified technicians would be happy to guide you through the installation process. Try our chemical-free water filtration systems in St. John’s today and experience the Kinetico difference for yourself!