Second only to oxygen in importance for health, water is the basis for the life of all living things. Over 60% of the human body is made up of water. It is not only essential for maintaining blood circulation, flushing water, supplying nutrients throughout the body, and stabilizing the heartbeat, but it also aids in digestion, protects vital organs, prevents constipation, and cushions joints. That’s whycontinuously replenishing body is important, especially during the hottest time of the year.
Why it is necessary to stay hydrated during the summers:
There is a chance that dehydration can deliver a massive sucker punch when the outside temperature starts to climb. Once the summer season starts to get a grip on us, it becomes important for us to increase the consumption of clean and safe water, and the installation of water filtration systems is the first step to get access to clean and safe water.
It’s important to remember: over 60% of our body is made up of water, and when that starts to drop, health absolutely will start to suffer.
- If you feel thirsty, or you feel like your appetite has disappeared after being outdoors, then dehydration could be the culprit.
- Extreme thirst, infrequent urination, low blood pressure, dark yellow urine, headache, memory loss/confusion, lack of sweating, rapid heart rate and breathing, dry skin, and dizziness are some other symptoms of dehydration.
- Constant dehydration can also lead to brain damage if ignored for a longer period.
However, avoiding these above-written problems isn’t the only reason why staying properly hydrated is important. Dehydration can lead to more serious health problems and you may require hospitalization to receive fluids and salts intravenously to recover.
How you can stay hydrated during the summers?
Staying hydrated all the time is difficult, especially in the summer heat. Dehydration can sneak up on you even if you feel like you are drinking enough water to perform essential body functions. All you need is a little planning on how to stay healthy by keeping your body hydrated. Here are the tips to help you stay hydrated during the warm summer months.
- Get a big water bottle: Investing in a refillable water bottle is a great way to keep track of your daily water intake. Get one, fill it up, and have it on hand whether you are jogging around town or going to the gym. Make the most of Kinetico CGC Water System’s bottled water delivery service.
- Get some water through fruits and veggies: Fortunately, drinking water isn’t the only way to stay hydrated; eating veggies and fruits which boast high water content is another way to do it. Consider eating watermelon, lettuce, grapes, and non-starchy veggies to keep dehydration from sneaking up on you.
- Watch out for coffee and alcohol intake: Coffee and alcohol have a diuretic effect and are known to cause dehydration.
Coffee contains caffeine, which increases the risk for dehydration. However, there isn’t any real evidence to prove that coffee can affect your body negatively, but its high consumption makes you pee a lot, and not drinking enough water to replace it can cause serious damage to your body.
Alcohol makes it harder for your body to absorb water by messing with the anti-diuretic hormone in your body. Resist the impulse to drink alcohol while in the sun.
- Sip on fruit smoothies: If eating a bunch of fruits and vegetables isn’t your thing, drink them instead. Drinking fruit smoothies is a great way to not only increase your hydration level but also to get a daily allowance of minerals and vitamins.
- Drink more milk: Another better source of proper hydration is milk. Not only it has fat and sugar, but it also contains vitamins, protein, and other nutrients, making it a perfect complete drink for proper hydration.
Drinking plenty of water is the key to staying hydrated. But sometimes it’s easier said than done. So, to liven things up for you and to make drinking your daily water quota instead of a chore, we’ve listed below a few flavoured drinking water recipes.
Recipes for flavored drinking water: These recipes are nothing but water with a little something extra (a touch of flavor), which means no additional sugar!
- Berries, orange or mint flavored water: First fill the jar with Reverse Osmosis (RO) filtered water, then toss in some mint and throw in a handful of berries (You can cut up an orange and use it in place of mint). Press and twist the fruits with a muddler to release more the flavor. Fill the jar with the ice. Stir, cover, refrigerate, and enjoy!
- Lemon and cucumber flavored water: Chop up one lemon and one cucumber, put it in a jar, fill it with RO (reverse osmosis) filtered water, and then put it in the refrigerator to chill for a refreshing way to beat the summer heat.
Other great combinations for making flavored drinking water are raspberry and lime, pineapple and mint, blackberry and sage, watermelon and rosemary, mango and blueberries, strawberry and basil, and orange and vanilla.
Our team at Kinetico CGC Water has decades of experience keeping our customers supplied with safe, clean drinking water. Please schedule a call and let us help you beat the summer heat!